ault Ste. Marie, ON – On Thursday, September 15, 2016 the Canadian Association of Fringe Festivals (CAFF) voted to accept the Fringe North International Theatre Festival (Fringe North) as a new member! This festival, which began with humble roots in Edinburgh, Scotland will premiere August 10-20, 2017 in Sault Ste. Marie, ON.
Fringe Festivals are founded on the following four principles:
- Participants are selected on a non-juried basis, through a first-come, first served process,
- The audience will pay a nominal ticket price, 100% of which goes directly to the artists
- Fringe Festival producers do not control the artistic content of each performance.
- The artistic freedom of the participants is unrestrained and allows for audiences to experience theatre that challenges, embraces and motivates,
- Fringe Festivals must provide an easily accessible opportunity for all audiences and all artists to participate in Fringe Festivals.
As a member of CAFF, Fringe North will be on the Fringe circuit, allowing for various acts and artists the ability to perform in Sault Ste. Marie as they travel through to other Fringe Festivals across the country. Fringe Festivals in Ontario take place during the summer months, and the biggest theatre festival in North America (Edmonton Fringe), takes place annually in mid-August. While Fringe North is likely to attract out-of-town performers, the selection process if also open to local artists, acts and groups and will begin in November 2016.
As per the guiding principles outlined by CAFF, Fringe North seeks the community of Sault Ste. Marie and its members as a strong partner and invites all those who are interested writers, artists, performers, theatre companies, community groups, educators and businesses to be involved. At present, Fringe North is seeking interested individuals to become board members as well as volunteers during the festival.